Boris Johnson unleashes fury over 70 freed terrorists following London Bridge attack | UK | News

Boris Johnson unleashes fury over 70 freed terrorists following London Bridge attack | UK | News


The Prime Minister reacted furiously to the news that dozens of potentially dangerous terrorists convicted of terror related crimes have been released from prison in recent years. On hearing the news, Mr Johnson ordered a review of the terrorists who had been allowed to leave prison.

Mr Johnson used the opportunity to attack the “failed approaches” that led to the early released of a terrorist convict who on Friday afternoon stabbed and killed two people to death in the City of London.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Ministry of Justice has launched an urgent inquiry to examine the license conditions for up to 70 potentially violent terrorists believed to have been freed from jail.

Terrorists out on license are expected to face more frequent meetings with authorities from Sunday.

Restrictions on the events they can attend will also be increased, it is understood.

Stricter freedoms on convicted terrorists came as Mr Johnson pledged to make terrorists serve “every day” of their prison sentences.

This would come as part of a plan that he said would help prevent further attacks.

The Prime Minister said he was “angry” that 28-year-old Usman Khan had been able to embark on a stabbing-spree on Friday afternoon which resulted in the death of two people, having been released from prison early in December 2018.

Khan was released automatically after serving the minimum of his 16-year jail sentence.

JUST IN:London Bridge: Polish chef fought off attacker with narwhal tusk

The judge added that Khan shouldn’t be released until he and the others were considered to no longer be a threat to the public.

However, in 2013, Khan and three other men argued that they shouldn’t have received indeterminate sentences for public protection (IPPs) – special sentences intended to keep prisoners beyond their original minimum term.

The Court of Appeal eventually ruled that the indeterminate sentences originally given to Khan and the others should be replaced with fixed terms and extended licences.

The halfway point of the fixed terms, at which point the men were eligible to be released on license, matched the minimum they originally served before they could seek to leave prison.

Judges said it was then up to the Parole Board to decide when Khan and the other men were safe to be released from jail.

This saw him released in December 2018, with his agreeing to wear an electronic tag in order for the police to monitor and track his movements.

According to The Daily Telegraph, earlier this year Khan attended a Whitehall event under police escort and was regarded as a model convict who had willingly engaged in the Government’s Prevent and Desistance and Disengagement programmes, intended to deradicalise extremists.

As a result of the Whitehall event having gone well, his attending the Cambridge University event was not regarded as a problem.

Mr Johnson said the current system has “got to end”, pledging to change the law to ensure that the sentences handed down for all terrorism and extremism offences represent the amount of time “actually served”.

This, he claims, would prevent a repeat occurrence of an offence.

He said the Conservatives would introduce a minimum sentence of 14 years for anyone convicted of serious terror offences.



Source link

Close Menu